Top 6 Tips Must Knows to Building a Successful Online Business
Every day, hopeful men and women join the ranks of those who want to build a successful business on the Internet or by using the Internet. What begins out as "stars in their eyes" may soon turn to tears in their eyes.
The sad truth is, most will fail. It's not for lack of desire but rather that they miss one of the most important aspects of running a business - using the Internet. They fail to understand the absolute importance of running their business like a business. It's as simple as that.
Having owned and operated my business for 16 years, I have witnessed far too many people miss incredible opportunity because they buy into hype, rather than laying a foundation for success.
The fact is you have to work at building your business. AND... you MUST treat it like a business.
For me, the transition from brick and mortar to online was not too much of a stretch on the business side. I already had a very substantial foundation, including a DBA (doing business as), business license, and we incorporated very early on.
In addition, I did all of the following. These are the same recommendations I make to virtually anyone who wants to build a viable business.
1. Keep accurate financial books. Set up your systems so you are paying your taxes throughout the year rather than getting stuck with a huge tax bill at the end of the year. I speak for U.S. business owners, as I do not know the tax laws in other countries.
A skilled bookkeeper or accountant is a must.
2. Be willing to invest in your education. However, as you learn new information, apply it. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will either not invest anything in their knowledge base or buy so much, without applying anything.
Education application is a discipline.
3. Secure the services of a top-notch mentor. Mentors who have "been there, done that" can cut years off your learning curve.
4. Develop a solid marketing plan. Marketing plans are not stagnant. Developing your plan is a fluid process.
5. Commit to the long term. Far too many people give up way too soon because they are not making thousands a day within a month of starting a business.
6. Enjoy the process. There will be times you wonder, "what the heck was I thinking?" Yet, one day, you begin to see progress and you say, "aahhh, yes, this is what I was thinking."
By following these simple steps you are way ahead of most. The fact is the business-mortality rate online far exceeds what we have traditionally heard about brick-and-mortar businesses.
On the flip side, when you build your business and treat it like a business, the potential for a highly successful business with an incredibly high-profit margin is yours to enjoy.